Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April 2008 Books and Movies

Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story
Leonie Swann

This book has a great hook. They find their shepherd lying in the meadow with a spade stuck in his chest and decide to solve the murder. You really get into the characters, pausing only to remember...these are sheep! It's pretty funny. The downside is, the story is far too convoluted to make for really good reading. Too bad, I really enjoyed it until about halfway through.


The Darjeeling Unlimited

Not so good. I was expecting to like it at least a little, as I really enjoyed The Royal Tenenbaums, but not so much. The best thing about it was the gorgeous Indian cinematography. Anjelica Huston was another highlight, she's fabulous. I found Owen Wilson's character really annoying. Makes me want to visit India even more now, so that's a plus.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Not the best movie I've ever seen, but not the worst either. The blood looks like red paint, but it's the concept that's really gross. Typical Tim Burton, creepy, weird and starring Johnny Depp. I'm not surprised he's married to Helena Bonham-Carter, she's weird too! Loved the sets and costumes, 1840s pre Victorian...there were lots of boobs hanging out of dresses which wouldn't have flown when Vicky was queen. :) The music was great too, it would be interesting to see the stage show.

Prime

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. It was a funny, poignant romantic comedy. I put it on as I was doing some housework, and all of a sudden, I wasn't working, I was watching. Meryl Streep is one of my favorite actors, and it was the type of movie that suits Uma Thurman to a "T". Enjoyable couple of hours with a non traditional ending.

The Amber Spyglass
Philip Pullman

Wah! I didn't want this series to end. It was that good! Best book of the three, Lyra and Will's character development is stellar. The ending is so sad, but you know it's the right one. The Mulefa were a bit weird to wrap your head around, but really added a layer to the story. Pullman puts his views forth plainly in our world view, whereas before he hid them in Lyra's world view. So glad I read these books, they were excellent!

No comments: