Friday, September 15, 2006

Out of Africa

What a beautiful movie. I feel like the last person in the world to see it. It's about a Danish woman who makes a marriage of convenience to become a Baroness and runs a coffee farm with her philandering husband. She meets and falls in love with Robert Redford, who is a very complex character. Esentially a love story, the romantic interests are actually secondary to all the characters' relationships with Africa. I hadn't even heard of it, until I watched Sex and the City, and Steve wanted to wash Miranda's hair, just like Robert Redford washed Meryl Streep's in Out of Africa. I have always loved Meryl, but I'm officially now going to watch every film she has ever made that I haven't already seen. She is brilliant. I am so envious of her ability to master any accent. Her Danish accented public school girl English was so believable it was uncanny to watch. It's too bad Redford has no accent whatsoever. They really should have made him an American, when it was so obvious he has no capacity for accents. The cinematography is breathtaking, and because of the time setting, you actually forget that it was made in the 80's. The only time you can tell is when they super impose shots on other backgrounds. Modern cinema technology is much better at it now. An absolute must see!

No comments: