Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wicked

Saw Wicked at the Cannon Theatre tonight. I had wanted to see it when it came to TO initially, but the show was completely sold out. I was only able to get cheap, cheap seats, actually they were the stools in the very back! The show was very good, exceptional production values and Jackie Burns, who played Elphaba, was absolutely stellar. The two best songs in the show Defying Gravity and No Good Deed were both sung by her. The links here are from the London show, and frankly not sung as well, but still good. As for the rest of the cast, they were a bit underwhelming, with the male leads being quite weak. I found I was a little bored with the acting towards the end of the second act, even though the story is very clever. The book was an overnight sensation, telling the prequel to the Wizard of Oz. I think I'm just a little bored with pop inspired Broadway songs, even though I know it's not going to change anytime soon, because that's what people want, even though so many of them are so cliche. Sigh. I guess that makes me somewhat of a musical snob. Oh well, I liked most of it, and was glad I went, even though my butt was a bit sore from sitting on those weird stools. :)

No comments: