Monday, August 31, 2009

August 2009 Books and Movies

No books this month, can't believe I didn't even finish one! Oh well, geodee will be happy. He won't have to skip any part of this post! :)

Inglourious Basterds

Absolutely frickin' brilliant! Crazy violent, as per usual with Quentin Tarantino films, but still amazing. I love how he just mashes together so many styles of film, camera angles and cinematography to create such unique outings. The cast is fabulous, with standouts being Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Melanie Laurent and Christoph Waltz. I loved that finally, years after breaking out in Freaks and Geeks, Samm Levine was in another mainstay movie. It was cool that I could mostly understand (my German is pretty rusty) the movie without reading the subtitles, as 75% was in either German, French or Italian. I don't want to post plot spoilers, just go see it! Cover your eyes for the gory bits, if you're squeamish though. It's well worth it.

Let the Right One In

This was a great movie...in the original Swedish, with subtitles. Unfortunately, I was watching the version that had been dubbed by some pretty sketchy American sounding actors. It really detracted from the stunning visuals and cool creepy storyline. I found out how good this film was, when I watched the deleted scenes. I may just watch it again, now that I've found out there's an option to do it with just subtitles. There's going to be a full American remake (even though it was only made in 2008!) and people will think it's brand new, but if you care, watch the Swedish original first, you won't be sorry. Oh, did I mention that it's a vampire story? Hence the Hollywood remake... :)

Julie & Julia

This was a fantastic movie for anyone who loves a good story, a bit of whimsy and of course, fabulous food. Meryl Streep (who is, hands down my favorite actress) was absolutely stellar as Julia Child. I loved the romantic depiction of post war Paris and the chemistry between her and Stanley Tucci was spot on. Across the pond and a many decades later, Amy Adams knocked it out of the park cooking and blogging her way through "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". She is absolutely the Meg Ryan of our generation. The food preparation stole the show! I wonder how many people were employed to make everything look so delicious! Whether you go hungry or not, you'll still want to eat afterwards. Wonderful film and absolute must see!

No comments: