Saturday, June 30, 2007

June 2007 Books and Movies

The Year of Yes
Maria Dahvana Headley

Great book about opening your mind and possibly finding love along the way. Many times during my LL adventures I had to remind myself that a date requires an open mind to see if anything is there. I admire her attitude and bravery, she certainly dated some unusual characters. A mime, a homeless guy who thought he was the re-incarnation of Jimi Hendrix, a 70 year old Salsa dancer who only spoke Spanish, to name a few. An intriguing, smart and humorously self-deprecating read. She must be one great playwright, can't wait to read some more of her work.

Knocked Up

Pretty good, but be warned, the f-word is used ridiculously often and there are some very graphic scenes. They didn't quite get the balance right between the humour and the drama. Katherine Heigle was good, it was weird to see her playing a character other than Izzy Stevens. Not as good as The 40 Year Old Virgin but there were some really great moments.

The Stupidest Angel
Christopher Moore

Loved it!!!! Funny, strange, disturbing, kooky and fantastic. I love, love, love this writer. I am a little obsessed... :) Can't wait to read everything else he's written, especially the ones that feature characters that are in this book. I'm one of those strange people who doesn't think that Xmas is the greatest holiday, usually, I am done with it almost before it starts. I don't want to give anything away, but Santa takes a shovel upside the head to kick things off. It's fairly short and a really easy read so go read it!

No comments: