Monday, July 31, 2006

July 2006 Books

Chandra's Secret
Allan Stratton

I know this author personally and have some of his other work, especially the young adult novels in the same vein. A very real and heartwrenching look at the AIDS crisis in Africa told through the eyes of a 16 year old girl living in a fictional African nation. As a teacher, I see immesurate possibilites for study in a grade 8,9, 10 and 11 classroom. As a reader, I couldn't put it down. Currently, Allan is working on a sequel to Chandra's story, I'm looking forward to it coming out.

Nurse Jane Goes to Hawaii - A comedy in two acts
Allan Stratton

Very funny! A bit retro (it was written in the 80s) but not too dated. I would love to see it produced, as reading a play is only the tip of the iceberg. It's a farce so if you aren't familiar with this type of playwriting it may be confusing. I'm amazed at how prolific a writer Alan is, and how many things he has written.

The Penultimate Peril
Lemony Snicket

I'm reading the series of unfortunate events because most of the kids I teach or know have read or are reading them and I like to keep up with new children's literature. This latest installment is even more confusing than the last. It doesn't help that I read the other 11 books quite some time ago, with the Grimm Grotto last summer. I just don't remember everything that happens. It's interesting that there are only 13 books in the series and they have to tie up everything in the next book. I've also heard that this is a series that was written years ago, and has been re-published but the copywright has been changed to now. Does anyone know? Is this just a rumour? Thanks!

No comments: