Saturday, July 08, 2006

So many books!

I can't believe how many books I have out from the library right now. I'm actually off to collect some more after this blog because the library called again!

In Your Face - the Culture of Beauty and You
Shari Graydon

This was recommended by Amy so some of my comments are the same. Written for a younger audience, who really are the ones who will benefit most from this book, Graydon really gets to the point. You are as beautiful as you think and feel you are, and the more attention you pay to the way the media potrays people the less you feel you measure up. I was amazed to learn that there is actually something called Centerfold Syndrome, where young men who have been over exposed to unrealistic potrayals of women in the media are unable to form real relationships with real women. All in all a good read.

The Davinci Code
Dan Brown

Originally I didn't want to read this. I don't tend to like books that are universally liked by the masses. But when the movie came out starring Audrey Tautou, I knew I wanted to see it. I loved her in Amelie and really wanted to see her in an English language film. I heard that the movie was better if you read the book because of the detail laden plot, so I borrowed a copy and read it. It was really interesting! I liked the pace, and the theories purported were odd and fascinating at the same time. So now I'm off to the film, and hopefully I won't be too disappointed. Already though, the picture I have of Robert Langdon in my head does not match Tom Hanks. He's just too old!

No comments: