Sunday, May 21, 2006

Long Weekend Is Here!

Girls in Pants - The Third Summer of the Sisterhood
Ann Brashares

Another really good installment of this series. In the last book the author said she would write at least 4 books, but this time around there was no teaser for the next book. This author met her husband when she was 19, so she is a big supporter of young love. All the girls except for 1 have now found the "one". And they are not even 18 yet. The book is also set up in a way that you know that the 4th girl will also find the "one" whether it be the guy that she was with in the last two or the new periphery guy. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It seems to me that it is encouraging the idea that if you don't meet your soul mate young, that you will never meet them at all. At 30, that doesn't sit too well with me. So far, I've been pretty ok with the fact that I may never meet anyone, and that I have to build a life that I am happy with for myself, but I must admit, reading about young love made me wistful and I felt keenly alone. How about the legions of young girls who are reading this? Will it make them feel incomplete if they do not have anyone in their life? Just some food for thought.

No comments: