Friday, March 31, 2006

New books

Teacher Man
Frank McCourt

Overall a good book. I liked some of his acntedotes, like the sandwich story where a kid whips a sandwich at him and he proceeds to pick it up off the floor and eat it to make a point and the reading cookbooks to music instead of reading a "boring" novel story. He did travel down the familiar "poor me" route a number of times. I really enjoyed Angela's Ashes and thought the sequel 'Tis was good, but not as good as the first. Teacher man was not as good as Angela's Ashes, but better than 'Tis. Boy, what a boring book review. Bottom line, only read this book if you've read and enjoyed his other work or if you like stories about out of the box teaching. If you are choosing Teacher Man for the latter, ignore the bits where he digresses into his past and/or is whinging.

Wyoming Stories
Annie Proulx

Tried to get through the rest of these stories, but I didn't really dig the cowboy themes. I suppose Brokeback Mountain struck a chord more with the love story than the cowboy story. I left two stories unread because of that. I still like Annie Proulx style, and she still paints vivid pictures on the page. We'll see what happens with the next book.

No comments: