Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Big Ride

When I got up this morning, I wondered how the day would play out.

So...got all the way to Oakville, but was sidelined by fatigue and bad weather. Took the train to Mimico and then biked the rest of the way home. A respectable 54K (or thereabouts, a few detours added some extra, I'm sure) but a far cry from the 80K I'd envisioned. I don't know why I thought I could jump from 44K the week before (with big breaks in between) to double that, with only one break at the halfway point. One has to work up to these things! :)

Anyway, I'm thinking that next time I'll try 60K, with one break. I really want to do a century ride, which is 100 miles (160K) so training is essential. I also want to do a camping/biking trip this summer. Hopefully by next summer I'll be able to do the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island.

1 comment:

geo said...

You know the randonneurs say that you can increase distances by 50% each ride. Other people use running guidelines (which I think is either 5 or 10% per week). For cycling I'd probably shoot for more around 25%. After last Sunday (almost exactly 50% for me), I think I'd probably work with a little bit lower.