Friday, August 25, 2006

The Way We Were

Starring Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford, directed by Sidney Pollack.

I just saw this movie for the first time. I first heard about it on Sex and the City, when Carrie finds out that Big is marrying Natasha. She likens herself to Katie (the Babs character) and the show does a repeat of the end scene in front of the Plaza Hotel.

The thing that bugs me though, is that SATC said the order of the scene wrong. In the movie, Katie says (when commenting on Robert "Hubble" Redford's new wife) "your girl is lovely Hubble, THEN smooths his hair. On SATC when they are describing the scene the girls say she smooths his hair first. Which is what they do when Carrie says that to Big at the end of the episode. He says "I don't get it". Which also is weird, because especially with Big being older, wouldn't he have potentially been out on a date or something in 1973 when the movie came out and would have seen it? If he was 42 when he and Carrie met in 1998, then that would make him 17 in 73, perfect date movie material. And if Carrie is 10 years younger than Big, that would make her 7 years old? Not the most appropriate movie for a child, so assume that she discovered it as a classic. Anyway the show portrayed the scene much differently, so I was really surprised when I actually saw the movie.

I thought I would cry, but I didn't. I really enjoyed the movie, both for the historical content and the doomed love relationship. Highly recoomend it to anyone who is a Babs or RR fan or just likes a good story and doesn't mind old movies that are not "technologically" perfect. And as always, anything that shows NYC as another character gets the thumbs up from me! :)

No comments: