Saturday, February 11, 2006

Shocking but true!!

I actually returned a book to the Library yesterday without actually finishing it! This is a first for me, because even if I KNOW the book and I are not getting along, I still force myself to read it! Why? I have no idea, which is why I chucked the book onto the return counter without a second thought. Then I casually enquired whether the other books I had on hold had come it yet. What book would earn such a cavalier attitude? Unfortunately, one of the ones I thought I would really love.

Making the Cat Laugh - Lynne Truss

I have a copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. I loved it! Witty, droll, all those great adjectives one uses when describing a funny British novel. To be fair, she made this Kat laugh once (aloud on the streetcar, which usually means great things for me!) but then not so much. I found her to be the Queen of run on sentences, something that irks me to no end. Also, I couldn't relate to her problems, which I think had something to do with the book being written in 1994. Back then, I was a little insular, which made it difficult to understand some of the current events references from that time. Mostly though, I couldn't relate in anyway to the personality that came through the pages, which is my number one gauge of a good first person narrative. Anyway, I hope this doesn't put Amy off from recommending anymore books! I'll still read them (or attempt to), promise!

On to the next...

No comments: